Monday, August 26, 2013

Have you had your 12-1-55 Moment yet?

Do you guys know where the phrase '12-1-55 Moment' comes from?  If you've been to any of our workshops, you know that I took it from the date that Rosa Parks refused to give up her seat on the bus.  On December 1st, 1955, Rosa Parks was ordered to give up her seat so that white passengers could sit.  After having given up her seat time after time, that day she decided that enough was enough.  Parks recalled, "When that white driver stepped back toward us, when he waved his hand and ordered us up and out of our seats, I felt a determination cover my body like a quilt on a winter night.  People always say that I didn't give up my seat because I was tired, but that isn't true. I was not tired physically, or no more tired than I usually was at the end of a working day. No, the only tired I was, was tired of giving in."

What is a 12-1-55 Moment?
A 12-1-55 Moment takes place in that split second when a situation pushes you to your limit.  It's when you've had all you can take, and you can't take any more.  It's that feeling when you turn around after being pushed and face the person who expected you to just give in.  Something snaps within you and you say to yourself "No more!  It's stops right here and right now!"
I believe that it's not until a person has their own 12-1-55 Moment that they make any significant life changing decisions.  Whether it's a job you don't like, a relationship you're in, or a financial situation you find yourself facing, there comes a time when you say "No!  I'm not going to put up with this anymore.  I'm going to do things differently from now on."  That's when you know that you've had a 12-1-55 Moment.  That's when your life changes.

So what happens when you have that moment?  That's when you decide to take action.  That's when you begin to look for ways to change your situation and your life.
·         That's when you tell the person you're in a bad relationship with that you're through.
·         That's when you quit that lousy, low paying, dead end job and begin to look for something better.
·         That's when you stop accepting that your financial situation isn't going to change and do something to improve it.


So, have you had your 12-1-55 Moment yet?  Have you decided that you're fed up with your financial situation and you're going to do something about it?  Let me know what 'the last straw' was in your life and what you're going to do to make sure that tomorrow is better than today.

No comments:

Post a Comment